It’s Oscar season and the 91st Academy Awards will screen on Channel 9 from midday on Monday, 25 February. But, first, we have to talk…
Not about the Best Picture or Best Actress nominees. (Hello Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper!)
No, it’s time to talk about the extravagant, $US100,000+ nominee “swag” bags, sent to all 25 major nominees in the acting and directing categories (best actor and actress, best supporting actor and actress, and best director) in the week leading up to the Oscars.
Known as the “Everyone Wins at the Oscars Nominee Gift Bag”, the bags are packed with goodies on steroids, including expensive bling (jewellery) and FIVE-STAR holidays.
Say whaaaat? Yes, A safari in a goodie bag. Hang on. It gets better.
This year’s bag, made by a third party company called Distinctive Assets, boasts a week-long stay at the Golden Door retreat in San Diego, valued at US$9,650, and a beachfront escape at the Avaton Luxury Villas located on the Athos Peninsula in… Greece!
In 2016, each bag was valued at approximately $230,000 but now Distinctive Assets doesn’t disclose individual product prices and just says the bag’s overall value is more than US$100,000. Gulp.
So, let’s take a trip down Oscar’s memory lane and look at the…
Top 10 Academy Award Gift Bag Holidays:
- A 12-night Tanzania vacation for two, valued at $US40,000.
- A week-long stay at the Golden Door spa in San Diego, valued at $US8,840.
- A three-night stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, Italy, valued at $US5,000.
- Three nights at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo in Lake Como, Italy, worth $US5,000.
- A 10-day all-expenses-paid, VIP trip to Israel, valued at $US55,000.
- A 15-day private walking tour of Japan, worth $US54,000.
- A $US6,850 two-day Rocky Mountaineer train excursion from Vancouver to Alberta in the Canadian Rockies.
- A $US12,000 Belize getaway to the private island of Cayo Espanto.
- A $US16,000 all-inclusive getaway courtesy of Premier Tours to Huvafen Fushi luxury resort in the Maldives. And…
- A trip to Australia worth $US12,000.