As a TV reporter, I’ve worked outdoors for over 20 years, so it’s fair to say I’ve a few tricks up my sleeve which help me stay somewhat presentable in extreme conditions.
Keep in mind, I’m on my own; I don’t have a ‘team’ following me, so I struggle to look as slick as someone who works within a studio. I also often work 12 hour days, rarely seeing my reflection in anything but a compact!
But, I’m heartened by the fact I’m still employed, after all these years. So maybe there’s something in my tips that can be of service to you. Here is what I recently relied on during a trip to a tropical island. Excuse the well-worked products, I love each and every one. Here are my top 10 essentials for my on-set beauty bag…
1. Eco Tan’s Invisible Tan I’ll grab a spray tan before I jet off, but on the road I need a fake tan that’s quick, easy and not too gooey. I can’t stand smelly, sticky creams, but I’ve found this to be pretty foolproof. Tip: I always mix it with a bit of moisturiser before applying.
2. Benefit POREfessional Face Primer So they say ’not to prime is a crime’, but you can’t have anything too shiny in the heat. Benefit’s POREfessional Face Primer seems to have a really smooth finish to it.
3. Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation Ok, so I’ve been using this for years, but I’ve stayed loyal as it provides amazing coverage, has an SPF and seems to be waterproof when I’m doing snorkelling shots. If you’ve sensitive skin like mine, this is awesome.
4. Guerlain Bronzer It’s so easy to get bronzer wrong, but for a sun kissed glow this is the ultimate winner. Just brush on the areas that the sun hits – top of the forehead, slightly over the nose and across your cheeks. Not too much, just a subtle base.
5. Lucas Papaw Ointment I’ll pop this on straight after brushing my teeth. But I had to share this with the crew as an itchy bite healer after we were attacked my mozzies. Multi purpose crowd pleaser.
6. Becca Beach Tint I stain my lips with this and dab the leftover on the apples of my cheeks. Mega staying power and super natural.
7. Dusty Girls Pacific Island Shimmer I found this at my local chemist amongst the Moo Goo products. I had to grab it quickly at the time, but now adore it. It just gives a soft and natural finish to your lips without looking too obvious.
8. Nars Orgasm Blush This is just a goodie to have in your makeup kit, for the gentlest of glows.
9. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid this is my obsession, I love this so much that when I heard a rumour it was being discontinued, I bought it by the box load. It’s still available and I churn through it. A not too obvious shimmer, with an SPF and it doesn’t stain your clothes or make your hair greasy. Love, love, love!
10. Hollywood Oil Blotting Tissues trust me, when you have to make your makeup last all day in 40 degree heat, these truly help.
All of these products can be found pretty easily at your local department store.